Pediatric Oral Sedation Dentistry in Nashville
Adams Pediatric Dentistry provides pediatric oral sedation dentistry Nashville parents can trust. Our pediatric dentists are experienced in providing pediatric oral sedation dental care.
Why Pediatric Oral Sedation Dentistry?
Dental treatment can be a traumatic experience for some children who exhibit a high level of apprehension. Sedation or general anesthesia is usually recommended to make delivery of the required treatment possible in a safe and comfortable manner. We will explain all treatment options as well as their benefits and risks.
Pediatric dentists have an extensive safety record in sedation procedures. At this time, we are not aware of a single case of morbidity or mortality in a pediatric dental office when the AAPD Guidelines have been followed conscientiously. All of our staff are certified in Basic Life Support and our dentists are certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
Do not give your child anything to eat or drink for 6 hours before the oral sedation appointment. This will make it less likely that your child will become nauseous during the procedure. We will reschedule the oral sedation appointment if your child has had ANYTHING to eat or drink within the 6 hours before the appointment.
What should I expect at an oral sedation appointment?
- The oral sedation medications will be administered in the office at the time of the appointment.
- The patient is required to wait in the waiting room for 45 – 60 minutes as the sedation takes effect
- The dental procedure will then begin and may take up to an hour
- Upon completion, the patient may be sleepy for several hours
- The rest of the day should be restful for your child – no karate or motorcycle jumping!
- The mouth may be numb for 2-3 hours – watch out for potential lip biting
- Soft foods can be eaten right away: yogurt, ice cream, smoothies, milkshakes, etc.
- Ibuprofen works best for pain and can be given right away
Questions About Oral Sedation Dentistry?
Please contact Adams Pediatric Dentistry with any questions you have regarding oral sedation dentistry and we will be happy to help. Beyond Oral Sedation we also provide hospital care and preventive care.